Monticello Media Vice President and General Manager Job Description
Job Summary Based in Charlottesville and reporting to Monticello Media ownership, the Vice President and General Manager will provide leadership in the planning, organizing and managing of all Charlottesville and Blacksburg, VA radio stations, digital assets, and people. You will be responsible for FCC and EEO compliance, market performance, broadcast and digital revenue, market share, engineering, budgeting, and profits and profit margins, while upholding our core values. You will directly supervise the Charlottesville sales team. Ideally, you will have a track record of success in managing talented leaders, growing revenues, controlling expenses, and driving profit in an engaging highly accountable workplace. What You Will Do
· Oversee all station departments including content, sales, promotions, engineering, production, traffic, business, and community affairs.
· Create a clear vision and strategy for the stations and the market that provides all team members with a blueprint that will lead to improved results for the business.
· Drive results by developing and executing on the station’s strategic and operating plans, achieves EBITDA goals consistent with the organization’s financial and operating guidelines.
· Develop and lead an engaging workplace culture that includes a set of core values that all team members embrace so accountability is clear throughout the markets.
· Recruit, develops, and retains a strong leadership team; provide guidance and coaching to maximize their performance and accelerate their professional growth.
· Bring an innovative approach to established and proven radio operating models, including events and non-traditional revenue, resulting in improved efficiencies and business unit growth.
· Foster a digital culture to grow digital audience including mobile, mobile apps, and desktop, and drive revenue.
· Responsible for A/R collections (working with the Business Manager).
· Forecast market trends and set budgets and performance expectations.
· Responsible for maintaining the stations’ reputation and market image.
· Create and maintain relationships with advertisers and potential advertisers.
· Directly manage the sales department in Charlottesville and oversee the sales manager/team in Blacksburg.
· Recruit, hire, and retain top sales talent
· Manage sales strategies for a multiple media portfolio
· Develop the skills of the sales department personnel and assist with individualized development plans
· Create a culture of cross-station and cross-product selling including radio, digital and NTR events
· Develop and implement strategic plan to achieve revenue goals.
· Identify strategic opportunities to involve the market stations in community events and public affairs.
· Ensure the station is in compliance with all equal employment opportunity (EEO) and Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requirements.
· Perform other duties as may be assigned.
What You Will Bring
· Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications, or Media (or related field) preferred.
· 5+ years of successful radio management experience in sales, content, and/or general management with demonstrated proficiency in various leadership roles.
· Must have general business experience and working knowledge in the broadcast radio business. Prior experience as a radio station General Manager is preferred.
· Working knowledge of content, digital content, research, sales, digital sales, promotions, production, office support, operations, programming, and marketing.
· Results oriented, with a high bias for action and a strong sense of ownership/accountability.
· Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees and management to maximize performance. Good verbal, writing, mathematical, and analytical skills are a must.
· Excellent community relations, interpersonal and leadership skills with a strong executive presence.
· Proven ability to attract/hire, develop and retain high caliber talent to ensure deep bench strength in key areas of business.
· Creative and flexible with a positive attitude.
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Windows, and media software such as Marketron and Hubspot helpful.
Why You Should Work at Monticello Media Monticello Media is a Charlottesville, VA-based Digital, Radio and Event company formed in 2007, with a total of eleven radio stations in Blacksburg/Christiansburg/Pulaski and Charlottesville/Central Virginia, and a complete array of related interactive products. As a privately held company, we don’t have to weigh the whims of Wall Street against the needs of the constituents we serve. Monticello Media’s events, broadcast and digital products allow area businesses to reach and motivate their most desirable consumers.
You will be based in Charlottesville, centrally located in the eastern foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It’s been named best town for food lovers; best college town in the country; the country’s favorite mountain town; and one of the happiest and healthiest places in the U.S.
Live in the home of Mr. Jefferson’s University of Virginia, enjoying rich cultural, natural, and artistic history with access to first-rate museums, galleries, wineries, and shops. Many rivers and lakes provide the perfect setting for sailing, swimming, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, and tubing. Beautiful parks offer sports, picnics, relaxation, and adventure.
If this description fits and Monticello Media sounds like a company you want to work for, we’d love to have you join us. Send your resume to: email@example.com
It is the policy of the Monticello Media and the New River Radio Group not to discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or age. Discriminatory employment practices are specifically prohibited by the Federal Communications Commission.